My Journey Into Weight Loss

My weight loss journey started in 2002. Weighing over 160 pounds and wearing a size 16, I was unhappy; my self confidence was at an all-time low; I felt tired and sluggish most of the time; and I developed a dependency on food to make me feel good.
On one of my low self-esteem days I realized I had to do something to change this and made the commitment to do something. That something started with working out two or three days a week just walking or going to an aerobic class. This simple change soon began to pay dividends and I was seeing changes with my body. It took about a year for me to lose 40 pounds and fit into a size 4 for the first time in my adult life. I even wore a two piece bathing suit to the beach, and I remember thinking how proud I was of myself for accomplishing so much!
A few years went by and I managed to keep the majority of the weight off, but after Hurricane Katrina in 2005, just like many others I ate and drank alcohol to occupy time. After a few months of over indulging myself, I managed to gain 10 pounds which was frustrating because I had worked so hard to keep the weight off. Once again, I made up my mind to change my way of living and focus on making me a priority in my life. I started attending aerobic classes almost every day, and I began to feel a passion for working out. After a short while, I noticed some weight coming off and muscle definition which increased my self-confidence. This commitment to change resulted not only in weight loss but in a real life change as I went on to become a certified aerobics instructor which I continue today as a certified TRX instructor.
I learned that my weight loss journey is continuous journey and no one said it was going to be easy, but every day I remind myself to make the best out of each day. I wake up every morning and head out the door for a run, allowing for some "me time" where I have nothing on my mind but my determination to finish the miles I set for myself. Here are a few tips on making your journey a success:
Commit. There is no "quick fix" or magic pill to help anyone lose weight; you have to be ready and willing to commit to exercise and eating healthy. Once you accomplish your goals, you should still continue the lifestyle you have set for yourself, and not revert back to your old habits.
Find your why. When I am done with a workout, I am so proud of myself for achieving my goal and not allowing myself to give up. Sometimes when I feel like quitting, I remember why I started this journey. We all have our own reasons for setting the goal we set. Make sure that the goal you set is for yourself and no one else. When I'm running, I often picture myself running away from the insecure, unhealthy me and I visualize myself running towards a more confident and healthier me. Losing weight and keeping it off is a marathon, not a sprint.
It all starts with small changes, which make a big difference, and everyone has to start somewhere. For me, exercising makes me happy, and I don't think I'll l ever stop!


No comments:

Post a Comment